Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Homemade Playdough

Pin It Now!

Homemade Playdough
This is the same playdough recipe my mom used to make with me when I was little.  I still remember standing on the chair by the stove helping Mom make it.  The texture is a little different than store bought playdough.  It actually feels silkier to me.

 What you will need
  • ½ cup of salt
  • 1 cup of flour
  • 1 cup of water ( if color is desired, add food coloring to the water)
  • 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar
  • 1 Tablespoon cooking oil
  • food coloring
 
First pour the water in the a large heavy skillet and add the food coloring.  I added about 5-6 drops, but you can add more for a darker color.  Then mix the rest of the ingredients together with the water in the skillet, cook over low heat stirring constantly.
 
 

The mixture will become stiff. Keep stirring until the mixture cleans the bowl like pie dough.
 
 Remove from heat and cool then knead like bread dough until pliable.
 
Helping knead her new playdough
 

Store in plastic bag or air tight container.

No refrigeration needed.
 
 
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. It's funny to see after over 30 years this recipe is still going strong! Can't even say how many pounds of this I made when the kids were growing up.

    ReplyDelete